17 June 2009

Of music, birthdays, and sadnesses

At his birthday party in May, the now-six-year-old's guests all received cds with a playlist of his favorite songs from the year. Here's his dad's blog about it. (We still have a few cassettes sitting around with playlists of a different kind: for car trips and hospital visits when my older daughter was undergoing regular treatments in NYC during her first three years of life. Music: it's a good thing for so many reasons.)

As usual, this birthday cd is an odd mix for such a young man, but rarely does he go wrong!

I'm currently fascinated by "Tire Swing" by Kimya Dawson (yeah, yeah, I know, who?), the chorus of which is an excellent round that should be taught to elementary school students country wide.

The chorus reads:

Joey never a met a bike that he didn't want to ride
and I never met a Toby that I didn't like
Scotty liked all the books I recommended
even if he didn't I wouldn't be offended.

What fascinates me is the way the round on the studio version plays out --with the final line sounding more and more like "even if he didn't die..."

Now, this could be simply poor enunciation by Ms. Dawson (and how many current singers do not enunciate poorly?), but I'd prefer to think it's more intentional (and touching) than that.

2 comments:

  1. I believe the word you're looking for is enjambment:

    "even if he didn't I
    Wouldn't be offended."

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the issue is not the pause after the "I", it's the "slurring" (if that's the right word) of the end of "didn't" and the beginning of "I." The enjambment may contribute to the effect, but it's not the only issue.

    ReplyDelete