27 September 2009

Pushing Frank Sinatra around the Hospital

Yesterday, at the Hospital of Central Connecticut in New Britain, I gave a Sinatra talk to the alumnae of the New Britain General Hospital School of Nursing. It celebrated its 100th Anniversary last year and graduated its last class in 1976.

As I try to do, I picked a playlist that would be appropriate to the group (or the time of year or...), so yesterday's had a medical theme!

“I’ve Got a Restless Spell” (12/26/1940 radio broadcast)

“It’s All Up to You (to Make North Carolina Number One in Good Health)” (11/07/46)
w/Dinah Shore
“A Song Written for and Donated to the Good Health Association by Sammy Cahn/Jule Styne”

“What’s Wrong With Me” (2/26/48)
From the MGM film The Kissing Bandit

“If You Stub Your Toe on the Moon” (1/4/49)
(intro’d by Bing Crosby in A CT Yankee in King Arthur’s Court)

“The Hucklebuck” (4/10/49) -- because it mentions the sacroiliac!

“You’re Getting to be a Habit with Me” (1/10/56)

“Not As a Stranger”
Theme Song from the film Not as a Stranger, in which Frank and Robert Mitchum play doctors

“Adelaide’s Lament” (performed by Debbie Reynolds, produced by Frank for the Reprise Musical Repertory Theatre recording of Guys and Dolls)

“The Man in the Looking Glass” (4/22/65) -- because it also mentions the sacroiliac!!

“I Love My Wife” 11/15/76 -- beacuse it mentions the swine flu (which is a lot better name than H1N1)

Oh, and the title of this post refers to the fact that, to get my memorabilia to the meeting room and back out to my car, I used...a wheelchair. Man, those contraptions are convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment