09 January 2009

When updating songs become necessary...and what won't happen

Ah, what to do when politics interferes with popular music!

The lyrics of "Let's Get Away from It All," written in 1941, originally went:

We'll travel 'round from town to town;
We'll visit every state.
I'll repeat
"I love you sweet"
in all the forty-eight!

Later on, with the addition of Alaska and Hawaii, the lyric, as recorded byDella Reese, for example, evolved into:

We'll travel round from town to town
We'll visit every state
I'll repeat
"I think you're nifty"
In every state
(and I think they're fifty)!

I guess I need to find a recording of it from the brief post-Alaska, pre-Hawaii period...
How would that have gone?

We'll travel round from town to town
We'll visit every state
I'll repeat
"You are divine/sweeter than wine/one-of-a-kind/really quite fine/a Shakespearean line"
In all the forty-nine!

Which leads me to this bold prediction:

Puerto Rico will never become a state, but not because of any legitimate political reason to exclude it. It will simply be because 50 seems complete. Though they'll never admit it: No one will ever really want 51, 52, or 53... states.

So unless there are 25 more territories out there to make a nice round 75 states, there'll never be more than 50.

It ain't politics, folks; it's aesthetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment