06 April 2010

Why I am an old fart

1) I utterly do not recognize the following as in any way reflective of my life:

My ability to consume media is all wrapped up in the ability of my media player to be with me when I get a spare moment. My life is not compatible with consuming media at long stretches at a time. I don't plop down in front of the tube - I don't have the time. Life is too busy communicating, collaborating, producing, and sharing. Consumption is fractured, short, episodic, unpredictable, and irregular. (From "Why Cory Doctorow is Wrong about the iPad")

and

2) I cannot agree more with the following statement by Craig Finn of the Hold Steady, published in Mojo, May 2010:

"...The Brooklyn-based band's new album, Heaven is Whenever, is being pressed on ultra-limited vinyl with a special screenprinted sleeve two weeks ahead of its regular release date of May 3.

'I like digital music,' says Finn, 'but Record Store Day is a nod to something real and very concrete. It's impossible to overestimate the influence of just going into a record store with 15 dollars when I was a youth, and poring over the racks...'"

1 comment:

  1. Here's the link to the US stores participating in Record Store Day on 17 April:

    http://www.recordstoreday.com/Venues

    ReplyDelete