06 March 2009

You Don't Get Cabin Fever If You Prefer the Indoors

I've been amazed at the number of people, just in the past week or two, who've said they're "done with this winter," that they "can't wait for this winter to be over," that "it's March, what's with the snow?"

My reply is always, "Its New England; it's supposed to be this way, isn't it?" I'm from SW Ohio, remember.

I always think Liam Neeson in 1993's film adaptation of Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome. Isn't THAT archetypal New England?

I'm amazed at these complaints because I'm realizing that I've not suffered from cabin fever in the least. I haven't gone out less frequently this year than in winters past, and , when I have gone out, while it's been pretty cold, it's, for me, just another good reason to spend time indoors -- by gum, that's why humans build shelter, isn't it? (See my 2/19 Chimp Incident post).

When Spring finally rolls around, I'll go out...at least once the ground dries up.

I don't want to muddy my shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment