25 July 2009

Amanda Carr at Playhouse on Park (7/24/09)

On Friday, I attended the first jazz concert at Playhouse on Park in West Hartford, CT, and, as a result, my first performance by Boston-based singer Amanda Carr.

A fine voice + great enunciation + impeccable song selection + a real sense of the joyously artistic communion the Great America Songbook offers to her, her musicians, and her audience = a wonderful evening of finely tuned renditions of Rodgers and Hart, Duke Ellington, Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen, Antonio Carlos Jobim, etc...

If Friday was my first Amanda Carr performance, I certainly hope that it will not be my last... a wish I may not have to wait too long to be granted with a new (big band) cd due for a Fall release, and a tour for which she indicated that a return to POP would be most welcome. I second that emotion....

6 degrees of separation moment: Ms. Carr sings a duet with Rob Zappulla on the classic "Ain't Nothin' Like the Real Thing," released on Rob's new cd, You Ought to be Havin' Fun, on which my older daughter joins in on background vocals on the title track.

(Already ridin' on the kids' coattails, I have no shame!)

No comments:

Post a Comment