5) John Wesley harding's "Famous Man"
(about John Lennon's murderer, Mark David Chapman)
4) John Darnielle's "Harlem Roulette"
(about the last hours of Frankie Lymon...of "Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers")
(Unreleased as far as I know but available on NPR's "Cabinet of Wonders," episode 2)
3) Paul Simon's "The Late Great Johnny Ace"
(about Johnny Ace and John Lennon):
2) Dave Alvin and Tom Russell's "Haley's Comet"
(about Bill Haley, of "Bill Haely and the Comets"):
1) Obviously, Don Mclean's "American Pie"
(about Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper):