16 February 2013

So, as a neo-Latinist/early Americanist with pop cultural leanings....


... toward the era of the Great American Songbook, I have tended not to have to worry much about what the subjects of my studies and classes might think about what I'm doing. 


When I decided to tackle a class in the novels and lyrics of someone not just alive, but in the midst of an active and multifaceted career, like Wesley Stace (a.k.a. John Wesley Harding) then all sorts of questions arise: What would he think?  What if he thinks I'm off base?  What if he thinks "I'm Wrong about Everything"?  (Cue musical number.)


And, of course, why am I so bloody insecure?

Well, we'll all have the chance to see exactly what he thinks when he comes to CCSU on the last day of this month for a few songs and a chat about his song- and fiction-writing. 

The early indications would seem to be that he must not hate what I'm doing since, after asking to see the syllabus, he then requested permission to put it on his website.

Check it out, and let me know what you think of it, too.  Oh, and come on the 28th, to join our conversation.

An Evening with Wesley Stace / John Wesley Harding
Thursday, 28 February
7:30 PM
Alumni Hall, Student Center
Central Connecticut State University

Free and open to the public

No comments:

Post a Comment