06 October 2009

I sat in on a creative nonfiction class today...

...the lesson in which was focused on humor writing, which, according to Scott Adams, always needs to display at least two of the following six characteristics: Bizarre, Clever, Cute, Cruel, Naughty, and Recognizable.

Here's what I wrote:

After watching Michael Phelps win yet another gold medal during the 2008 summer games in Beijing, my then-nine-year-old daughter turns to me and says, "Gee, Daddy, if you were big, strong, and handsome, you could be in the Olympics too."

Then, directing her attention to her mother, she remarks, "And, you, my dear, need better taste."

She's due to be released from the closet next Thursday.

I think this would be categorized as "cute" and "cruel."

1 comment:

  1. So funny! Like a bunny with a bazooka... That must have been some class!

    ReplyDelete