02 May 2011

Bin Laden's Dead: Now What?

Maybe it's because I haven't had a leader I could really believe in since I was 12 (and THAT leader was Sparky Anderson), but how's Bin Laden's death change much? 

I mean, I can't believe that, given the news, any terrorist is giving up and packing his bags to go home now and become a cobbler, day care provider, or investment banker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that OBL is no longer able to plan mass murders (but I'm not dance-in-the-street happy that he's been killed), because this ain't the end o' the war, is it?  

Details will follow, I hope (naively perhaps), about how the troops were unable to capture OBL alive and not that they were ordered just to kill him.  While a long, drawn-out, and expensive trial is not what I longed for, the sort of justice that comes through a trial, I think, is somehow more appropriate for the values we're supposed to be defending in this conflict.

An interesting day indeed in the history of 21st-Century America.

No comments:

Post a Comment